Skip to main content

Bulbophyllum purpureorhachis - look what rolled in to the show!

At the National Capital Show -

Bulbophyllum purpureorhachis rolled in for judging on a hotel luggage cart.

Grower - US Botanic Garden Range - Liberia/Ivory Coast.  You need to watch the video below!


   SERIOUSLY - OH MY GOD WHAT AN AWESOME PLANT

     As if it wasn't cool enough - this species is one of the Bulbophyllums in which air movement causes the lips to dance and bob around resulting in a convincing impression of an insect. Something I almost missed when taking in the whole plant, but luckily it was a gusty day at the greenhouse. The plant was swaying a good bit, but I think I still managed to capture the effect pretty well. Watch until the end, and I pan out to see the whole plant.

Really amazing movement, very convincing effect of a small insect ducking in and out of a bloom.


Thanks to Ben and Terry from US Botanic Garden for bringing this in! It was not part of the show, unfortunately - but it did roll back home to the USBG collection with a much deserved CCE! (Certificate of Cultural Excellence)


    And this total dork - (yeah, that's me) taking a selfie with a Bulbophyllum like it's a celebrity. 
At least it's not one of the super stinky ones. It had no fragrance that I could detect, but then again, I don't make it a habit to stick my nose in Bulbophyllums if I can help it...


Note there were other fans gathered around to take pics. (left)




Comments